Friday, February 19, 2016

MAGNET GRADUATE SPOTLIGHT
Kelly (Connolly) Burrows
Las Vegas Academy '96


What is your name?

Kelly Burrows

What CCSD Magnet School(s) did you attend and what year did you graduate?

Las Vegas Academy - 1996 (Theatre/Musical Theatre Major)

 
What college/university did/do you attend?

UNLV: Secondary Education/Theatre and Univ of Northern Colorado: Master's in Theatre Education

What is your current occupation?

Theatre Teacher at Coronado HS (11 years)

What was your favorite thing about attending a Magnet School?

Everyone was just as serious and focused on your major as you were.  We all had the same interests and aspirations. There wasn't anyone telling you that pursuing the arts was not a good idea.  The faculty and staff were your biggest cheerleaders.

What’s your proudest achievement since graduating from High School?

Being named Theatre Teacher of the year twice in the state of Nevada, finishing my master's in Theatre Ed, having my students go to top Performing Arts colleges and finding success as working artists.

How did attending a Magnet School help prepare you for college and/or your current profession?

I think I was more focused on a specific goal.  We spent more time in class and out of school on our course of study and our school curriculum incorporated it so it was 24/7.  Your classmates were focused the same way so there weren't any distractions or people telling you to do something else with your life.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and how could you use it?

Time Travel - I'd like to be able to fix past mistakes and prevent future ones for  myself and my students.

What teacher inspired you most? How?

Phil Randall.  He came into my life at a time that I needed a strong mentor.  He believed in me when I didn't think anyone else did. He taught me to believe in myself and to be proud of who I was. He saved my life. He is the reason I became a theatre educator and still influences me and mentors me to this day. Everything I am as a teacher is in large part because of the lessons he taught me. I try to pay that forward every day.

What advice do you have for students today?

Follow your heart. Be true to who you are and if you want something GO GET IT no matter what is in your way. Nobody is going to live your life for you so make sure you are living the life you want.



No comments:

Post a Comment